We wanted the taste of pizza, but not the mess that came along with using dough so we ended up creating this open-face pizza hoagie instead. It’s similar to the campfire pizza I made last year, minus the naan and the campfire. Intead, we use an oven and buns. This recipe is enough to feed two if you’re super hungry, but you can always split one bun and have a side salad if you’re watching your carb intake. It’s nothing fancy, but this recipe surely satisfies that pizza craving!
- 2 long buns
- 1 container of pizza sauce (or homemade if you have any)
- Shredded cheese
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 pepper (I chose orange for some sweetness, but any will work)
- Handful of mushrooms
- Bag of pre-cut pepperoni
- Preheat the oven to 325°C.
- Cut the buns into halves, lengthwise.
- Spread pizza sauce on top.
- Add as much cheese as you desire. The more, the gooier.
- Add the remaining toppings as sparsely or as heavy as you would like.
- Cover a baking sheet with foil for an easy clean up. Add the prepped buns onto the baking sheet and put it into the preheated oven and bake for about 5-10 minutes (or until the ingredients have warmed up/toasted/melted to your liking).
Easy peasy! Even though I generally prefer a thinner bun, there is something about having a thick, crusty bread too. Plus, you don’t want your ingredients to fall off. Enjoy! 🙂