In a busy world where people are working, taking care of kids, going to school, taking on extra-curriculars, etc., many have resorted to takeout restaurants or finding pre-made meals at the grocery store. While it’s ok to that every once in a while, sometimes it’s better to have some homemade cooking. This Chinese style chicken and corn soup is one of the easiest dishes to make. It’s comforting to eat and is nutritious. All you need is:
- 1 can of cream style corn
- 1 container of chicken broth (low-sodium, if you prefer)
- A bit of corn starch and cold water mixed together (to thicken the soup)
- Shredded pieces of leftover chicken (or you can boil some fresh chicken)
- 1 egg (2 if you want to add more protein)
Add the cream of corn and chicken broth into a pot. When it boils, lower the heat a bit and add the cornstarch-water mixture to thicken the soup. Crack an egg (or two) into a separate bowl and beat them. Gradually pour it into the pot while stirring and then add the shredded chicken. Voilá! Within 5-10 minutes you have Chinese style chicken and corn soup.
If you want to be a bit fancier, you can add some green scallions or extra corn kernels into the mix. You can also swap out the chicken and add bits of ham into it (a good way to clean out the fridge). I also like to add some ground pepper to it. It’s fast, simple and healthy! Enjoy!