1 Tequila, 2 Tequila, 3 Tequila, Floor

No trip to Mexico is complete without a shot or two (or a dozen) of tequila shots, as displayed at this fancy table at our resort.

A Beautiful Display of Various Flavours of Tequila

Many prefer to take a shot of tequila with some salt and lemon, but sometimes it’s good to have it straight. However, what is tequila made of? A leafy looking agave plant which must be produced within the borders of specific Mexican states – Guanajuato, Jalisco, Michoacan, Mayarit and Tamaulipas. Have I ever been to any of those places? Nope!

However, 100% blue agave is said to be the best type of tequila and in order to be considered tequila, the concoction must be minimally 51% agave. The remaining 49% is often made with sugarcane, though many other raw ingredients may be used. Interestingly, there are four types of tequila:

  • Blanco (aka white, silver or plata): this is bottled immediately after being distilled and has a herbaceous, peppery flavour.
  • Joven abocado (aka gold): this is a blanco tequila with added flavours and colours.
  • Reposado: like joven abocado, it may contain flavouring and colouring, but it must be aged minimally two months and up to a year. Wood aging (usually oak) creates hints of vanilla and spice and makes it more mellow than blanco. Some reposados may be called gold, but they aren’t legally required to be aged like a reposado.
  • Anejo: this type of tequila is aged minimally for one year and up. This is the smoothest and complex type of tequila, which probably means it isn’t the type to burn as it goes down your throat.
Chocolate tequila, anyone?

Visiting Mexico, I believe they served the blanco tequila and often they had joven abocado tequila. Our resort oddly reused many Disaronna bottles by filling them with their own flavoured tequila – like cherry, mango and even coffee. I personally didn’t enjoy it, but I was informed much later on in our trip by a friend (we went as a huge group for a wedding) that we were supposed to shake it first. Oops! Lesson learned.

Source | Deluxe Food Lover’s Companion (2009) by Herbst and Herbst


One Comment Add yours

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s