I never heard of Eggs in Jail until a friend of mine showed me how to make them on a camping trip. It turns out if you love breakfast food, this is something that you could definitely add to your list. It’s similar to French toast, but it has an egg in the center and the bread is infused with bacon flavour.
I’ve seen all sorts of recipes asking for brioche, regular slices of bread or Texas toast, but we altered it a bit and used garlic toast instead. However, you can probably use most types of bread. So how to make Eggs in Jail?
- 1 package of bacon
- 8 slices of garlic toast
- 12-14 eggs*
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground pepper
1. Cut holes into the center of each slice of bread. You can use a circle cookie cutter to do this or just manually cut squares with a knife.
2. Cook the bacon in a pan to your desired crispiness. Do a few at a time to ensure they get cooked evenly and then set aside on top of a paper towel to soak away the grease. We used thick cut bacon which takes longer to cook, but you can also use the regular type. Keep some of the bacon grease aside because you will need it for later.
3. Crack 6 eggs into a bowl and add a pinch of salt and some ground pepper. Whisk together with a fork. Then, place a slice of bread into the egg mixture and ensure all sides are covered. Repeat with other slices.
4. Turn the stove on to medium-low and grease the pan with some bacon grease. When it’s hot enough, place a few of the egg-drenched toast slices into the pan. Carefully crack an egg and place it into the hole of the toast. If some of your guests prefer having egg whites only, you can crack a yolk in one and whites into another.
5. Let it cook for a few minutes and when it’s stable enough, flip it over to the other side to cook. When it’s done, place it aside and repeat with the remaining pieces of toast. Don’t forget to add more bacon grease in between.
6. Use the bread holes and soak up the remaining egg mixture. Ensure all sides are covered and cook with some bacon grease until they are done, like mini French toast.
The result is a delicious bacon-infused slice of French toast with an egg in the middle. You can eat it with the bacon that you cooked earlier and sausages or be a bit more healthy and add some fresh fruit to go with the meal. Yum!
*The number of eggs for this recipe depends on which method you use.